Friday, October 3, 2008

Sept Challenge in AMVS group Mirror

http://stores.ebay.com/Mosaic-Tiles-and-Sculptures-By-CMK link to my ebay store for thes e and other tiles.
I really enjoyed doing this challenge this past month, we decided to do a mirror. My first time on this one . I started off with a nice round mirror with a fancy edge on it. Taped it up really good since I did not want to scratch it you know with all the work I knew I was gonna be doing. Painted it a pretty soft flat pink. Cut some vintage Harker plate rims with 22k gold on the edge. glued those around the very edge. Added some of my handmade faux chintz rose tiles broken up. Working along I decided to use one of my handmade lady busts. I had to cut the back out of her to make her fit the edge of the mirror. She was hand painted and hand made by me. Once I had all my tiles glued down . a gave it a rest for the day. Two days later after the glue is dry I grouted the piece in sanded white grout. Let that set up for a few more days and sealed it. Back to work the next day I had the lady bust glued on and a few of the 3D roses I also make. Pretty shades of pink. I added some sculptured green leaves, had to let those dry before I was able to finish the mirror. Added some vintage buttons with pearls on them, strung some mini pearls around her neck and added two as earrings. Used a vintage clip back earring as a brooch on her dress. She look's so elegant. Added a single rose at the bottom of the piece and two more vintage buttons and some sculptured leaves. The last thing i put on the piece was to glue each pearl around the edge of the mirror. Altered pink and creme glass pearls around the inside of the frame. Took photos for the group post. I think this was a pretty fast project. I learned not to try and use two part epoxy on so many pearls.

1 comment: